Face it. Living near a metro in and @ DC can save you loads of time. And a lot of people approach their home searches based on proximity to metro. Friendship Heights offers up a bunch of varied neighborhoods within walking distance… and is unique because it serves both DC and Maryland residents.
Friendship Heights Metro is located at Wisconsin and Western Avenues, right along the District line. Friendship Heights has gone through a little commercial explosion over the past several years and has emerged with some vibrant and upscale eateries, shops, and even a Whole Foods. Neighborhoods included in this “walk-to Friendship Heights Metro” group are Somerset, Friendship Village, Brookdale, Chevy Chase Village, Friendship Heights & Crestview/Greenacres.
- Somerset (pink) was founded in the early 1900s with 33 frame Victorians which were built on spec. It now is home to over 400 households. The balance of homes are mostly splits, ramblers and some new construction. Prices range from $800,000 to over $3,500,000. Walk time to metro ranges from 10-25 minutes.
- Friendship Village (purple) is made up almost entirely of large apartment buildings (including the Elizabeth, the Carlton, Somerset House, 4620 North Park and the Willoughby) a vibrant town hall/conference center and commercial space. Prices range from $150,000 to $1,600,000. A neighborhood bus will run you to grocery stores and metro, though the walk is quite quick, ranging from 5-10 minutes.
- Brookdale (yellow) is an incredibly convenient location, tucked just inside of River Road and Western Avenue. You’ll find a lot of brick in Brookdale, plus a nice neighborhood Park. Prices start around $750,000 and head up to around $1,700,000. Walk time to Friendship Heights metro is 10-20 minutes.
- Chevy Chase Village (green) is a lovely collection of homes bordering the District. Prices typically start at $1,000,000 and head on up to $3,500,000. A few network anchor types are known to live here, and there is an incredibly varied and handsome collection of homes to be found in the Village. Walk time to metro ranges from 8-25 minutes.
- Friendship Heights (coral) can be found in the district. It’s an eclectic mix of townhomes, old stucco, Victorians, colonials and bungalows on large and small lots. The famous Rodmans, an international grocery/pharmacy/wine store is located on Wisconsin Avenue… a must see for all. Prices range from the low $300’s (apartment) to $2,000,000. Walk time to metro ranges from 5-20 minutes.
- Crestview/Greenacres (blue) is located just off River Road, and is the furthest in the group to metro. It is a comfortable mix of small bungalows, old farmhouses, brick colonials and capes. A smaller colonial recently sold in the mid $600’s, but new construction can cost you $1,700,000. Walk time to metro: 15-25 minutes.
Friendship Heights Metro isn’t the only game in town. Click here if you would like to learn more about neighborhoods where you can walk to Tenleytown/AU Park Metro, walk to NIH/Medical Center Metro and walk to Bethesda Metro.
If you are interested in learning more about any of these neighborhoods, I’d be quite happy to show you around. I’ve lived in the area for almost 20 years, and I’ve been helping buyers and sellers with their real estate needs for over 14 years. Let me know what I can do to help.